Saturday, January 30, 2016

My Piece of the Musical Pie

You may have heard that being a musician full time is a difficult feet to accomplish.  Others may have even discouraged you from aspiring to become a full-time musician, exclaiming that "Musicians don't make enough!" or that "Yeah, but you need to put food on the table."

As a full-time musician myself, I've been asked more than once what my "real job" is, or what do I do during the week since I'm at church all weekend.  And when I answer that this IS my full-time job and that I am pretty much free during the week, people then - with a look of bewilderment - ask: "So are you independently wealthy?"

Well, I'd like to let non-full-time Musicians know that it is slightly offensive to ask these questions and just assume that we are not full-time musicians.  On the other hand, I'd like to let aspiring full-time musicians know that I'm on the other side waving furiously toward you letting you know that it definitely is possible to lead an economically fulfilling life as a musician.  And that's without having to be a full-time teacher, too!
When I first started, I practiced 3
hours a day!

Practice, Practice, Practice!

I know, I know.  You've already heard this one: practice makes perfect and all that.  But at risk of sounding nothing more than cliched, I will resound this motto.  For without proper familiarity with your craft, how do you expect people to pay you for it?

Think about this.  When you were 15 or 16 you didn't really know all the rules of the road (with few exceptions), and you needed to drive every day in order to be proficient.  Actually, if you are over 35, then you can say that you've been driving for about 20 years! And after 20 years, you can definitely say that you are much better than you were at 15 (again, with some exceptions).

So why is it when we need to learn an instrument we don't practice daily as we do when we start to drive. It takes the same "drive" (pardon the pun)!  Think about the kids that can play video games without looking at their fingers.  They learn how to play a new game almost instantly because they already went through the learning curve of mastering the controller.  So any new challenge is less so because they have the mechanics down.

Going back to my original example of driving.  Similarly, when given a detour or new environment, we don't forget how to drive altogether. But by the same token, learning and mastering an instrument is vital to becoming a paid musician.
I've turned teaching into a studio
business by first recording my
 students for their parents!

It's Music Business

Imagine my surprise when I talk to other skilled musicians who had given up on their dream because they weren't making any money (perpetuating the myth I stated above).  I have been even more flabbergasted by musicians who have ten times the chops I do but barely make it because they don't earn enough to put food on the table.

Well, my advice to them is always the same: who does your books?  Of course, most of them just stare back at me, puzzled.

But it shouldn't really come as a surprise to anyone trying to earn money in whatever he/she is doing: the definition of business is trade.  Usually trade of products or services for monetary compensation.
With that in mind then, we as musicians need to treat our craft as though we are selling any other respectable service.  Such as a lawyer (yeah, I know I said respectable!) or teacher or plumber or carpenter.  All of these aforementioned businesses need all of the prerequisites in order to accomplish their goals.  In the case of a plumber, for instance, he/she must go through training, get licensed, insured, and then after all of that is done, that person has to go out and make a name for him/herself.  Either by joining a group of already established plumbers or the slow but steady way of growing a customer base.

As a musician, this takes the form of practicing (get used to hearing it), getting a certification or full degree, and getting the word out that you exist.  One of the best ways to do this is through your local House of Worship.  Nowhere else will you have a better opportunity to have a constant gig with your number one asset: people!
It's taken a while, but I'm the go-to
musician to sing the "Ave Maria"
for weddings and especially funerals.

The Name of the Game is Consistency

I'm willing to bet that you learned what McDonald's sold before you knew how to add double digits.  How do they do this?  Yes, by marketing, but more than that, by ingraining themselves into the minds of generations.  McDonald's and many other companies have done this by establishing and growing their BRAND.  To a company, its brand is more important than even the product or service it's selling simply because even if it's selling the cure for cancer, no one will buy if no one knows about it.
Likewise, once you have put yourself "out there" and let people know what you have to offer as a musician, it is imperative that you are consistent.  Musicians are notorious for being flaky...that is, playing inconsistently, or showing up late for a gig, etc.  Establish yourself by your strengths.  For instance, if you are known as a classical musician, surround yourself with people who appreciate that genre and be one of the best classical musicians out there.  Don't try country or rock - at least not right away.  First grow your following and if you've done a great job, they will follow you no matter how you decide to "spread your wings."

Finally, There Is No "Pie"

Now, let's get this out of the box right away.  There is NO PIE!  Once you're out there earning money doing what you love, don't think of other musicians as your competition.  Rather think of them as your peers and as possible collaborators in growing your business.  Competition among otherwise fellow musicians can lead to stagnation at best and sabotage at worst; so get used to sharing venues, times, and other opportunities.  

It has been my experience that the nicer I am with my fellow musicians, the more they appreciate it and are willing to return the favor.  And if not, then I haven't really lost anything because I've proven to myself and to my followers (and clients) that I can "play well with others."

No comments:

Post a Comment